Friday, April 29, 2011

Shooting for Hope



I'm sure you know I have become close with some of the world's best Swing Dancers- International Lindy Hop champions Nikki and Shesha Marvin, and many other of their stellar swing star friends. A few years ago, Shesha started a charity event benefitting the City of Hope cancer center. The event was a brilliant concept- a 24-hour Dance-a-Thon. Move over, Dick Clark! The event is held yearly, and has raised over $33k.

This event hits close to home for me, as cancer is rampant in my family, and one of the most amazing Uncles I ever had was a longtime patient of City of Hope. My Uncle Willybill, son of my grandfather's brother Welcome Albao, flew from Kauai to City of Hope for months and months before he lost his battle. He was too young when we lost him, and I remember how devastated we all were that someone so sweet and kind could be gone. Unfortunately, he's not the only special person I've lost to this disease, and certainly not the only person in my life who's had to face it head on.

This year's Dance A Thon will take place November 12th and 13th (from noon to noon). And until then, I'm offering you a special deal.

If you donate $50 or more through this link- http://www.danceathon.org/donate/?loadbody=mip&mid=1008, I will give you $75 off your regular price photosession. So, not only are you doing something good, supporting an important cause, making a 100% tax deductible donation, but you're also getting an amazing deal. Feel free to dedicate your donation to someone in your life who's fought this battle.


(About 1/10th of the family at the 1983 family reunion on Kauai- Uncle Willybill is front row, second from left)


I really truly hope you'll take advantage of this, and help us support an organization that really does offer hope to the hopeless.


No comments: