Friday, September 16, 2011

I don't even have a title for this one.




I had a dream. Literally. And in that dream was this photo of Marilyn Monroe:

I wouldn't say I'm a HUGE Marilyn fan. I do love her, I do admire and adore so many of her photos and images. I enjoy her movies. But I don't know much about her, and I certainly don't spend much time thinking about her. That's why this dream was so curious. What was even more curious was that as soon as I woke, I had a flash in my mind of my friend, professional Lindy Hop dancer, Nikki Marvin, wearing her Lindy sneakers while posing as Marilyn. Weird, right? I know. What can I say? Sometimes creativity comes from weird places in the brain.

Lucky for me, Nikki was down for the cause. She threw together a vintage outfit (all purchased at local vintage shopping mecca, Elsewhere Vintage) and spent all day doing her own hair and makeup. Commitment, people. That's why I love this woman.

Here are just a few of our impromptu shoot. Nikki does such an incredible job of capturing not just the look, but the energy and essence of what I love about the original photo. She's casual, but elegant, and even though she spent hours in hair and makeup, she looks like she just rolled out of bed looking like a superstar. I couldn't be more ecstatic.

Thank you so much, Nikki. Love.  

 



1 comment:

Angie Jolly said...

Love it!!! So classic! Nice of her to jump into costume and make your dream come true!!!