Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stu Stu Studio

Did I mention I have a studio?

Yep. In Fullerton.  It's become sort of a photographer's co-op, with people at all levels learning and sharing and growing.  It's freaking exciting.

So I met up with some others there last night to learn about studio lighting (since I have never touched a studio light in my life!) and got some quick shots.

The whole studio environment is so new to me, but I do have some quick thoughts about it I wanted to share.

It's all about composition and lighting.  Like, ALL about composition and lighting. Because the background is gone, the focus is squarely on your subject.  This freaked me out a little bit.  I generally like to incorporate the environment and have subjects interact with their surroundings.  So, having no surroundings threw me off.

The lighting.  Dear God.  This shit is even more technical than I had thought. I swear to God, there was a point where Marcus metered in nine different places for one shot.  WTF. Nine places.  One shot.

So, yeah.

I come from a place where I like to just have my subjects play and relax and be themselves, and here, in this new place, it seems I'm going to have to plan.  Hmmmmm.  It's a little addicting, having complete control, however.  Being able to move lighting, change lighting, move backgrounds.. I can see why photogs enjoy that part of it.  Control freaks, pssssshhhh.

Anyway, I'm so new to this, but I am pretty proud of some things I got last night.


Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the world of studio photography! I hope I get a chance to shoot at this Fullerton studio someday, I've heard a lot about it already... :-)

=Matt=

SteFUNie said...

Yeah man! It's a whole different world. And I have TONS to learn. Did I mention he metered in nine places for one shot? Yeah. I need 'Studio Lighting for Dummies' or something...