Friday, November 12, 2010

My favorite thing.

I read this article over on Photofocus, and thought I'd throw my two cents in. Photography is such a personal thing to me, and I feel it has many levels, so to pick my one favorite thing about it is pretty daunting. It's sort of like asking Santa Claus who his favorite child is. :)

But I've had quite a few sessions lately where the parents of small kids have been really focused on getting their kids to 'behave' or 'sit still and smile'. And while I totally get it as a parent, as a photographer, it's just not ideal. My favorite photos are those in which the kids are being themselves- playing, laughing, jumping, being rambunctious. And those usually end up being the parents' favorite as well, not just because it's a great moment in time to be able to capture, but because that's how we KNOW them. We play with them every day, we run and jump with them, we tickle them till they laugh and drool. And when they get older, start talking back, dating, and generally growing up, we can sit on the couch while we wait for them to make curfew and look at those photos and remember how it felt to hug them and swing them around in our arms. We can smell the sweet sweat of their little baby neck, feel their soft little chubby hands holding one of our fingers.

So, while it's not necessarily a one-sentence answer, that is probably my most favorite thing about this, as a business and as an art. It's the ability to freeze something so fleeting and so intimate, and the ability to crack open those emotions and memories every time you see an image.




What's your favorite thing???




No comments: